Thursday, July 30, 2009

Ah, the construction is done!! The plastic curtains are gone and the smell of paint and plaster have returned to non-toxic ranges! :)
The 'extra' staff in the Track have been retruned to the main and I am once again in my blessed cocoon. Just me and the PA and our fave lil painuers...
So much has happened in the Track since November; an influx of newbies, a shifting of staff assignments, and patient traffic. During the 'phasing' of construction we had extra staff shunted thru to the Track instead of using a rotating leave. Although this was fun for a while the extra bodies swirling in my 10x10 ft. workspace caused my claustrophobia to reach catastrophic levels. On any given day there were: RNs x2, tech, PA, and secretary all fighting for computer/seating/breathing space! We had a great time getting together in our lil cubbie and I must admit - it did help to get some of the nurses from the Main into the Track to see just how fun it is to get SICK patients in a curtained cubicle without so much as a call light or O2 outlet. I was taking bets on just WHEN the first code would be called in the Track!!
So here I am, freshly back from Vacay in the Florida sunshine (furiously playing the lottery to get back) and ready to tackle my Track...
First day back:
Me: so why didn't you talk about this painful wrist of 2 weeks duration with the Doc when you were here 2 days ago?
T19 Queen: I didn't 'member.
Me: what meds are you taking?
T19 Queen: you can jez look at the computer - I doan know them all.
Me: your homework assignment for today is to go home and make a list of your meds
T19 Queen: I aint got no computer - you do!
Me: THUNK (sound of head hitting desk)

No comments: